Free School Meals

If you child attends a school maintained by Monmouthshire County Council and you are in receipt of one of the following benefits, you can claim free school meals for them:
Income Support
Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190. (HM Revenue and Customs are responsible for assessing the level of annual income.)
Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
Working Tax Credit 'run-on' – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
You may also be entitled to a Year 7 clothing grant if your child is starting secondary school.
Applying for free school meals
You need to complete a free school meals application form when you first start to receive benefits or if your child is starting reception. We will then re-assess your claim each year and send you a letter to confirm if you are entitled.
If you are required to complete an application form you no longer need to provide supporting documentation to verify your benefit entitlement.
All we need is for you as the parent/carer to complete all sections of the application and we will verify your benefit entitlement with the Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) database.
We will process applications received during the academic year within five to ten working days. If you are entitled to free school meals you will receive a letter confirming the date from which you will be able to claim free school meals.
Schools will be notified directly by us that your child can have a school meal free of charge.
What will be provided by the school?
Primary children will receive a hot main course everyday followed by a dessert, fresh drinking water is also available. Baguettes are available on a Tuesday and Thursday and jacket potatoes are available as an alternative everyday.
Secondary schools provide their own menu and you are advised to contact the relevant school directly.
Monmouth Comprehensive School – 01600 775177
King Henry Vlll Comprehensive School – 01873 735373
Chepstow School – 01291 635779
Caldicot School – 01291 426436
What if I have a foster child?
If your foster child is looked after by Monmouthshire Social Services then a free meal will be provided.
We will notify the school so you do not need to complete an application form.
What do I do if I stop claiming benefits?
You will need to contact the us immediately to tell us of the change in circumstances.
Do not continue to take free school meals, otherwise you will be asked to pay for all the meals that your child has had since you stopped claiming benefit.
You will also need to tell us about any change of circumstances, such as benefit, address, school, claimant etc.

Email: [email protected]