Cymraeg for kids is a national scheme by the Welsh Government that supports parents to use the Welsh language with their children by choosing Welsh medium childcare and education. The scheme is regulated by Mudiad Meithrin that provides Welsh medium childcare and preschool education in the day nurseries and the Cylch Meithrin.
We know that most children across the world speak two languages, and that they have the ability to grasp a language at an early age. The sooner a child hears Welsh the better.
There is a team of 25 Welsh for kids officers across Wales that provides expert advice, information and support to prospective and new parents on the benefits of Welsh education and the importance of introducing Welsh early to the small child.
This is accomplished locally by offering support groups free of charge to parents during the school term. Here’s a taste of what’s available:
- Baby massage group – an opportunity to massage your baby through the medium of Welsh and develop a close attachment with the baby by singing simple Welsh rhymes.
- Baby yoga Group – an opportunity to learn simple baby yoga moves through the medium of Welsh and gain confidence by learning simple rhymes and phrases to use with the baby.
- Welsh story and rhymetime group – an opportunity to experience a fun session by listening to a Welsh story and learn simple rhymes to use at home.
- Clwb Doti a Fi – an additional opportunity to socialize through the medium of Welsh and make new friends.
- Fi a Fy Mabi - a 6 week interactive zoom programme for teaching parents how to introduce Welsh into the home, (Email [email protected] for details.)
How to get in touch with Cymraeg i blant:
Tel: 01970 639639
E-Mail: [email protected]
Twitter - @Cymraegforkids