Monmouthshire Acorn Project is funded by the Families First grant, a Welsh Government innovation programme that focuses on prevention and early intervention for families, particularly those living in poverty.
The Acorn Project works with families in need who have one or more child aged 4-18 across Monmouthshire, and also with families who have one or more child aged 0-3 in areas that are not covered by the Flying Start initiative.
The main aim of the project is to support families to ensure parents improve their parenting skills, confidence, wellbeing and relationships with their child/children.
The Acorn Project also aims to improve children's development.
The project aims to achieve this through a variety of parenting interventions and support :
Evidenced based Parenting Courses and interventions:
- Incredible Years parenting programmes (groups and one to one for parents/carers with children 0-12 years)
- Solihull Approach parenting programmes - Understanding parents with adolescents workshop
- Watch, Wait and Wonder Programme
- Take 3 Parenting programme (skills and strategies to deal with challenging teenagers).
Structured group programmes of support for parents/carers:
- Nutrition courses
- Confidence Building courses
- You and Your Family programme
Bespoke packages of parenting support:
- Toilet training
- Home safety
- Baby care
- Language and play
- Getting to know your baby
Drop in group support:
- Language and Play programmes
- Solihull Workshop for Parents of Adolescents
Early language development support in conjunction with Flying Start programme:
- Chatty Chimps Speech and Language Programme
Child Development support
- Crèche placements in Acorn Centre, Abergavenny for identified children who are developmentally delayed or have a disability (age 18 months-3 years)
Mobile crèche support to enable parents to access services
To access Acorn Project services, a referral form must be completed and the referral approves at our weekly referral panel. The referral form can be downloaded from the bottom of this page.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01873 735430
Contact Name: Clair Evans
Address: Deri View Primary School Llwynu Lane, Abergavenny, NP7 6AR
Room Bookings: There are rooms available to book at the Acorn Centre at a charge.
For further information about what is happening at The Acorn Centre, contact the centre.
Deri View Primary School
Email: [email protected]
Contact Name: Pat Lawrence - Acorn Project Support Officer
Phone: 01873 735430